Sunday, July 31, 2011

ELL

I earned my bachelors degree in Early Childhood Education from Brigham Young University about one year ago. I learned a lot about how to teach English language learners (ELL) learners yet when mentor teachers or professors would talk about how to work with the family to help the student succeed, I didn't really understand.

Now I do.

I understand how frustrating it would be to go to a parent teacher conference and not be able to be understood or understand what is said about your own child.

I understand how it would be so important to have notes sent home to you from the teacher that you could read. And how much that would mean to me that a teacher bothered to take the time to do it.

I understand now why my mentor teacher never tried calling the parent of an ELL student because she knew that they wouldn't answer the phone.

I understand why Pedro was so quiet in class.

I understand just how hard all of that is.

And now, I understand why I am here. Well, at least one reason why.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa I adore you and am so happy to read more of your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete